Disable right mouse click

The big catch up (part 4) - November/December 2017

Sadly I was quite ill for the last couple of months of 2017 and my visits to the Common during this period were sporadic at best.  That said my health is on the mend and I'm looking forward to what interesting wildlife I may see at the site as Spring 2018 fast approaches!   So for now here is my somewhat limited catch up for the end of 2017.

Sunday 5th November - Lower Poolands:
Today's visit was really all about the fungi with Candlesnuff, Common Earthball, Ochre Brittlegill and Yellow Brain recorded. 

Yellow Brain (Tremella mesenterica)
















Tuesday 21stNovember - Lower Poolands:
Again fungi was the focus with Turkey Tail and Jelly Rot both showing well.  Lots of trumpet shaped Cladonia lichen was also on show, although I am unsure as to which one as there are a number of very similar species within the Cladonia family.

Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor)
















Jelly Rot (Phlebia tremellosa)
















Cladonia sp.
















Of great interest on the bird front was a flock of 27 Lesser Redpoll that dropped in for a short while to feed on a Silver Birch.  sadly I was only able to get a record shot before they flew of heading S.

Lesser Redpoll (Carduelis cabaret)
















Thursday 7th December - Lower Poolands:
A brief visit to the Common today provided another species of fungi in Wrinkled Crust.

Wrinkled Crust (Phlebia radiata)
















Friday 8th December - Wilden Top car park:
Today the wintry weather was arriving and I decided to pop to the Wilden Top car park at the Common to try and get some photos before the roads became too bad.  Sadly my photos didn't do justice to the snowy conditions although this was made up for by a cheeky Robin who decided to flit up onto the open car window and join me for a spot of lunch!

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) 



















Saturday 23rd December - Lower Poolands:
My final visit to the Common in 2017 again tended to focus on the fungi with Crystal Brain and Velvet Shank of note.  It was also pleasing to see quite a few patches of Devil's Matchstick lichen on the open areas amongst the heather.  

Crystal Brain (Exidia nucleata)
















Velvet Shank (Flammulina velutipes)
















Devil's Matchstick (Cladonia floerkeana)


No comments:

Post a Comment