Disable right mouse click

Thursday 6th July

Thursday 6th July 2017:
Today it was shaping up to be another hot, sunny day so I decided to pay a mid-late morning visit to the Common.  I parked up at Lower Poolands carpark and walked a circuit of the site's southern area.

A short way into the walk and I was treated to cracking views of a Painted Lady butterfly that landed on a nearby Bramble flower.  This was the first adult Painted Lady I have recorded on the Common this year.

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)














Continuing the walk along the sandy paths through the heather I picked up on a rather showy ♂ Beewolf that was busy making patrols around it's territory, perching occasionally, before taking flight again.

Sandy path on the southeast side of the Common 
















♂ Beewolf (Philanthus triangulum) 
















Also of note during my amble around was a ♀ Red-banded Sand Wasp that I observed digging a burrow.  I have attached some video footage below of the wasp undertaking it's excavations and whilst watching it back noticed that a second Sand Wasp photo-bombed it and sneaks into the frame.  I didn't notice that at the time!  

Red-banded Sand Wasp (Ammophila sabulos)




No comments:

Post a Comment