Disable right mouse click

Sunday 6th & Tuesday 8th January 2019

Sunday 6th January 2019:

I started today's visit to the Common with a mooch around the area near the Wilden Top car park and soon added another species to the bird year list as there were 3 Greenfinch perched in one of the trees there.

I then headed over to Lower Heath where I was pleased to see both a male and female Kestrel present.  I also added a handful of year list ticks in the form of 2 Coal Tits and flyover Lesser Black-backed Gull and Black-headed Gull.

Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) ♀
















From Lower Heath I then headed over to Hillditch Pool.  In the trees above the pool were 17 Redwings and a Song Thrush.  A Common Buzzard flew through as did a single Pied Wagtail.

During my walk along the wooded footpath I recorded 3 more fungi for the 2019 list:  Candlesnuff, Turkeytail and King Alfred's Cakes.  The latter is so named as, when they mature and become a burnt black colour,  they are said to resemble the cakes that King Alfred burned when he fell asleep. The ones in the photo below are a more immature specimen and are hence a browner colour.

Candlesnuff (Xylaria hypoxylon)
















Turkeytail (Trametes versicolor)
















King Alfred's Cakes (Daldinia concentrica)
















Tuesday 8th January 2019:
For today's visit to the Common I decided to have a mooch about in the area between the Old Rose and Crown pub and The Bog.  At first it seemed like it was going to be a fruitless visit but then as I neared the wooded area at the rear of this section of common I picked up on 3 Siskins (2♂, 1♀) feeding in the Alders alongside 9 Goldfinch.

Nearby, there was a small flock of House Sparrows present in the trees next to The Bog car park.

Siskin (Carduelis spinus) ♂

No comments:

Post a Comment