Disable right mouse click

Wednesday 2nd January 2019

Lower Terrace:
I began today's visit by undertaking a walk on the lower terrace of the Common. I started my walk by traipsing through The Bog.  Sadly the water levels have dropped here since my last visit just before Christmas and only very few shallow puddles amongst the tussocks remain.  I certainly can't see any wintering Snipe using the are whilst the water levels are this low. 

I did however add a few more bird species to my site year list during my amble around the terrace with Common Buzzard, Collared Dove, Carrion Crow and Chaffinch added to the list.

A single additional fungi species was added in the form of Common Jellyspot.

On the mammal front a number of Grey Squirrels were encountered and there were signs of plenty of Mole action with lots of mole hills present in the less sandy lawns near to Rush Pool.

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)
















Signs of Mole activity near Rush Pool

















Hillditch Pool:
From the Lower Terrace I then went and spent some time down at Hillditch Pool.  The pool itself was fairly quite but for 3 Moorhens (2 adult & 1 1st winter) and 6 Mallard (4 drake, 2 female).

A flock of 7 Long-tailed Tits were flitting along the hedgerow next to the footpath and a number of Goldcrests were flitting around in the Oak trees near the bench.

Also of interest (but just off site opposite Hillditch) was a Water Rail that was calling/squealing  regularly from along Titton Brook.

1st winter Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus)
















Common Jellyspot (Dacrymyces stillatus)

4 comments:

  1. Good to see you getting out again Jase.
    As for me, i really need to snap outta the winter blues and get out there lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. Now my health is back on track I seem to have found a renewed enthusiasm. Still hate winter though mate and can't wait for Spring to arrive!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting write up Jason, I shall have to mosey on down there soon methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Well worth a visit in Spring/Summer mate...it's very quiet here during the winter months

      Delete